Thursday, September 3, 2009

I'm Back!

I've neglected my blog for over a month for loftier pursuits like studying for the GRE. I finally took the test on Friday and received an average score. Part of me wants to retake it to achieve a score that reflects the efforts and sacrifices I made this summer. The other part of me wants to move on and focus on the rest of my grad school application process.

Acing the GRE comes easy to some people. I am envious of them. It has been a humbling and challenging experience for me. I've been out of school for ten years. You add three to ten and that's how many years it has been since I took a math class. One plus one equals the number of months I spent studying for the test. One plus two is the number of weekend getaways I cancelled so that I can study. Sixteen divided by four is the number of lattes I consumed on Saturdays to get me through the day. The unknown variables include the number of friends I've neglected the last few months, the number of new gray hairs on my head and the amount of damage I did to my brain the day after the test was over.

What does this add up to? One very relieved and exhausted person. So exhausted that I wasn't even phased by the (yes, there is more math) two citations and $250.00 towing fee incurred by my reckless post-test weekend of partying and debauchery.

Yes, I am physically tired. But I must admit there is nothing more exhilarating than having a purpose and a dream. Fighting and working for something I want gives new meaning to an otherwise routine life and uncertain future. I wouldn't trade the last two months for anything in the world. Some of my friends took summer vacations. Some found true love. Some frolicked on the beach and got glowing tans that would put Greek goddesses to shame. But the journey I embarked on does not require a passport or sunscreen. It just requires enough courage to brave the depths of your own heart's desire, enabling you to achieve an inner glow that continues to shine long after the summer is over.

2 comments:

  1. When you win the Pulitzer, it'll make an inspiring tidbit to tell people that you got an "average" score on the GREs. Perhaps you can write a treatise on the downfalls of standardized testing. Did I spell treatise right? (Clearly, I'd get a less-than-average score on the GREs.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, you party like kai...no wonder you two are friends!

    ReplyDelete