Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Top 10 Things I Will Miss Most About Golden Hills

I have lived in Golden Hills for 3 1/2 years now. It's a charming neighborhood in close proximity to the airport, train station, downtown San Diego, several beaches and a handful of great places to eat. I appreciate the diversity, the grittiness and the urban feel that comes with living in the heart of a city.

I am moving out in a few months and I can't help but think fondly of some of the things I will miss most about this area. Here is a list of ten things I hope to never forget:

10. Panchitas - A panaderia a block from my house that has seduced me on many nights after inhaling a certain appetite-enhancing herbal remedy.

9. Scotty - My crazy neighbor who walks around in a bathrobe at all hours of the day, sipping on coffee that I'm sure is spiked with Kahlua. He's a card-carrying republican who helps us take out our trash, brings us flowers from his beautiful garden and once told me that racism only exists in my mind because I am a "too educated." We may not be politically like-minded, but he's kind and neighborly. And plus, how will I know I am sane when Scotty is no longer around?

8. Turf Supper Club - You can grill your own filet mignon dinner, complete with a salad and buttery garlic bread. Throw in a cocktail and you'll still spend less than $25.00. Enough said.

7. The flight path - I recently read somewhere that living under a flight path can raise your blood pressure. I think the only thing it raised is my tolerance for loud and unwelcomed sounds. If you ask my roommates, this may not be a good thing - especially when I manage to also tune out helicopters flying over the house in search of a certain gentleman fugitive in a blue hoodie on a detour through our neighborhood, probably on his way back to the prison from which he broke free. God, I'm going to miss the inner city.

6. Influx Cafe - Their coffee is like mother's milk when you're tired and/or hungover.

5. The Hispanic community - I love the wealth of Mexican people, markets, fast food joints and that little fruit stand that sells elotes covered in mayo, chile and lime. I love coming home to the sound (ring ring!) of the ice cream man hawking ice cold treats, flammin' hot cheetos and duros.

4. Our proximity to downtown - If we were any further away, Liz would have to pedal that much longer to get home the next time she decides to hijack another pedicab from the sweet and unknowing Turkish pedicab driver. Oh and ten dollar cab rides for a car full of drunk friends is pretty great too.

3. Our proximity to the airport - Multiple airport runs for jet setting roommates and visiting friends are a breeze when you're only four miles away from Lindbergh Field.

2. The cougar living underneath the house - OK, there isn't really a cougar under the house, but there is some kind of animal creature there who travels swiftly and loudly in the under side of our house. Before we confirmed it was an animal, we thought it was an intruder. The cops showed up and told us two things: the "intruder" is actually an animal and...I need to keep my room cleaner. Duly noted, officer.

1. Home sweet home - When I think of my home, I can't help but think of that age old adage "home is where the heart is." Where else am I going to find two roommates who not only share the bills with me, but will fight off fake home invaders, hold my hair back when I puke up a bottle of PatrĂ³n, knit me bunny slippers to warm my feet, dirty dance on the living room floor and belt out Disney showtunes on cue? It has taken me thirteen years, fifteen roommates, seven moves and two cities to score Liz and Sonia. When I move out, I will probably cry like a little bitch with a skinned knee. And if I ever find roommates and friends like them again, I will look up in the sky, wait for the roar of the Boeing 747 to pass, and count my lucky stars.

1 comment:

  1. i actually teared up reading this entry - thought of my own great roommates.

    gorgeous shot!

    ReplyDelete