Sunday, March 28, 2010

Wealthy in Health

I've grown more and more attached to a health and fitness routine in the last few years. I was active and athletic as a kid, but never as much as I am now, in my early 30s. It started with a love for some sweaty, heart pumping Vinyasa yoga. When I plateaued with that regimen, I moved on to Muay Thai, which gave me the confidence I needed to try other forms of high impact exercise. I ventured out and tried my hands at Russian kettlebells, which I love. What I didn't love was rock climbing, as I learned that I have a slight fear of heights. Recently, I started doing Crossfit, which has really taught me about my capabilities and limitations. And as of last week, I started playing tennis again after a decade long hiatus from my childhood sport. A typical week consists of all combination of these activities (except for rock climbing - scary!). I'm learning a lot about my body, the foods I should consume and the amount of rest I need in order to perform well and stay alert.

When I slowed down long enough to think and rest, I started to wonder I am doing this. Why am I pushing myself so hard? Why do I work my social life around my gym schedule? Why am I there six times a week, sometimes twice a day? I'm not training for a marathon. I'm not in the military. I'm not preparing for a movie role. I'm definitely not a contender for any championship or Olympic sport. So then, why am I so dedicated to my routine?

The answer came to me not too long ago while I was playing with my godson.



There was a poignant moment one Friday night, while I was throwing M in the air that made me realize that staying strong and healthy is important to me because I want to be the kind of mom who can keep up with her kids and godson. I want to be confident enough to try new things with my friends without fear of injury or lack of energy. I want the kind of stamina that can carry me across a metropolis like New York or up a mountain in Nepal.

I don't need to have a goal in mind. I just want to be healthy so I can enjoy all the fun physical activities that life has to offer.

Maybe when M is old enough, I'll teach him how to throw a good left hook combined with a roundhouse kick to the face of someone worthy of an ass kicking.

1 comment:

  1. look at your maternal instinct kicking in! yeah, i recently started working out again and eating healthier not only because i want to keep up with babymoc but also because i want to show her that women can be strong and healthy and beautiful no matter the age.

    ReplyDelete