Saturday, June 26, 2010

Butterflies In My Stomach


Katie presented me with a zip-lock bag of colorful, butterfly-shaped sugar cookies this weekend. She frequently brings me delicious treats when we see each other. And as if these delightful confections weren't enough, we proceeded to indulge in more heavenly desserts at Extraordinary Desserts, where the food and our conversations always takes me to a higher ground.

I am six weeks away from starting my fall semester at CUNY, which makes Katie's visit this weekend extra special. This will probably be one her last visits to San Diego with me as her host. But that didn't stop us from doing the things we do best, which is eat and wax lyrical about matters of the heart. There's no need to mess with tradition.

The last twelve months of my life has been filled with stress, excitement and careful planning. I experienced a gambit of emotions that ranged from happiness to worry. Recently, I also find myself feeling a bit intimidated by my new endeavors. The suggested summer reading list, the apartment hunting, my younger and more experienced new classmates - sometimes, it feels like it's too much to handle. But fear has a funny way of motivating me into action. Rather than denying myself these feelings, or letting fear paralyze me, I've decided to let it in, embrace it, study it and then exorcise it.

Katie gave me some prudent advice that led me to the ink and paper (or keyboard and blog). She suggested that I start strengthening my writing "muscle" by writing spontaneously and more frequently. I need to exercise my ability to write even when I am not inspired. With one foot in front of another, one day after the next, I will become a stronger writer so that the daunting tasks that lay before me won't seem so grim. Whether it's a attacking a writing assignment or mastering the New York subway system, practice and experience will make me skillful, powerful and ready for anything.

That Katie, always coming correct with the sweet treats and sage advice. I think I will indulge in the rest of those cookies and make the best of having butterflies in my stomach.


No comments:

Post a Comment